Sunday, October 28, 2012

Swing Arm Bearings

Well, I thought this would involve lots of hard work and swearing, but it was very easy instead. Clearly I must have done something wrong!

I bought a Harbor Freight Blind Bearing Puller. It works really well. You have an expanding bit that is inserted into the bearing:


You then tighten it, so the jaws extend and push into the back of the bearing

When it's tight, pull the slide hammer back as hard as you can, so it hits the handle of the puller. Two pulls and out she came:


Totally blown away by the tool. Other side worked just as well. Only problem is, I now have no more blind bearings to pull! But if I ever do, I'll have the right tool for the job.

To put the new bearing in, just place it on top of the bearing receptacle:


and then rattle it into place with side-to-side motions of the flat face of a hammer like so:

End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment